Lately amid all the gloom and pessimism, haven’t been thinking of much of good things happening in Kathmandu (not Nepal, just Kathmandu)
I have absolutely no idea how people’s life is faring in the rest of the country since very rarely the media, the politicians , you or me care about them : I admit my guilt here).
so here is a positive thing that i am seeing from up-close (and contributing in some of them).
1) “West Seti Hydro is still trying to build a 750 MW hydro-electric project in the remotest part of Nepal (shunned by rest of Nepal) despite the shit that are being thrown at them by greedy politicians, desperate locals, zealot NGO’s and depressed bureaucracy and “not many qualified manpower left now”. Its been nearly what 12 years now they are trying despite all odds.
2) “Entrepreneurs for Nepal” a young group of entrepreneurs, most of them returnees from USA have been meeting every month to help other young entrepreneurs in startup tips. (Here is the facebook group)
3) People like Bijaya Shiwakoti have been helping answer travelers questions that promotes traveling to Nepal (thus helping tourism regain its luster in Nepal). Website: exoticbuddha.com
4) Investment banks. ( a bunch of banks are cropping up to give investments to building the infrastructures inside the country. despite the political status quo.
5) semi skilled manpower development: a lot of otherwise idle young, uneducated, clueless people are gaining good set of work skills needed for development of the country, by working abroad. A lot (by that i mean lots) of my unskilled, uneducated cousins in village who were busy beating up each other because of petty politics now are working abroad and have learned variety of skills in automobile maintainance, iron industry, managing security, etc.
well hopefully more good things to note down for next time.