Here are a few lessons I learnt while running my online branding & web development firm Digital Max Solutions (DMS) in Nepal for nearly 10 years now. Some of the lessons are site specific and technology start-up specific. Enjoy!
- Be directly, personally responsible to the client. Otherwise chances of success in your project is low.
- Ensure quality yourself. If you personally don’t do quality checks on your products or services, make sure the person who does it, has your 100% trust. (Otherwise it will come back to haunt you)
- Delegate but teach. If you delegate project communication to your developer (employee), teach him/her exactly how, what, why and when to communicate.
- Train your employees. Do not expect them to solely learn by their own or by internet. Understand the concept first, yourself.
- Employees value what they can learn from you personally. Substituting respect from them by friendship with them, may not work.
- Repeat yourself. Over-communicate. Your employees may not understand the first time around. This happens often. Ask them to paraphrase (To repeat what they understood.)
- Client is always right (but only