I often get asked what will happen to Nepal in the future ? What’s in the future of Nepal? I typically answer, “How the hell should I know?” or smile back “Good’ or plain ‘Okay”. But there are certain gut feelings I have about what Nepal would end up in the not so far future.
So here are my 30 predictions on the state of Nepal at 2030 (roughly
20 15 years from now).
- All the politicians you hate /despise /curse (click here for a small list) WILL be replaced by one of you passionate ones who have NOT yet joined any political parties or started any.
- The top 10 businesses in Nepal will be the ones that haven’t even started yet!
- More people will leave Kathmandu than enter it.
- Majority of visitors to Nepal will be for religious reasons.
- Nepal’s biggest export will be water. International stock markets will trade Nepal’s Water in some form on (Just like Oil is now)
- Nepal Police will only fire less than 850 bullets in the entire year.
- 1 out of 4 Nepalis will hold dual citizenship.
- Nepal will host Cricket’s ICC World Cup. Will they win? I hope so.
- Land prices will be higher in the hills than in the plains or the valleys.
- No visa required to travel between Nepal, India and China. (Think Europe today)
- Nepal, India, China and possibly couple other neighbors will share a single currency. Buddha will be on one of these notes.
- Inter-national marriages will be common. “Within your caste ” marriages will be rare. And Nepalis will marry more Chinese than Westerners.
- Watching Soap Opera Serials as a favorite past-time will be long replaced by socializing on massive multi-player online role-playing games (MMORPG). No one will “watch” television anymore.
- A Trans-gender will be among the top decision makers for Nepal’s society and culture.
- A warrior code called “वीर चक्र” based on a set of life rules focused on integrity, chivalry, responsibility and derived from Buddhism & Hinduism will be how a powerful minority of Nepalis and foreigners world-wide live by.
- Poets, Bloggers and Artists will be headline makers.
- Every Nepali will be online 24 hours a day through a smart device(in the form of eye lens) that is 100 times more powerful than the iPhone. It never runs out of battery.
- Mass media like Kantipur, Nagarik, Himal and Himalayan Times will have been long replaced by customized news delivered to your device aggregated from people you respect and subscribe to.
- Nepal will have an adult interactive video industry.
- Nepali citizenship will also be gotten based on “deserving” basis not just by being born here.
- Nepal will beg for less aid and send more aid by primarily donating “water”.
- Nepal will be known more for 1000’s of its beautiful man-made lakes (water reservoirs) than for its big mountains.
- Issues like Women’s rights will no longer be an issue in Nepal. The struggle would be on the right to be offline or rights of other living organisms.
- A small vocal group of xenophobic nationalists who call themselves pure-bred, will arise targeting ‘non-pure’ Nepalis in Nepal.
- History will write Nepal’s decade of 2003-2012 as ‘the lost decade’, decade of 2013-2022 as “the leap-frogging decade” and decade of 2023-2032 as “the enlightened decade.”
- The rich will get richer, the poor will get also get richer at a faster scale. But the gap between them will remain significant.
- Nepal government will enforce timed occasional “Bandh” to improve a Nepali’s ‘family’ life which has suffered because of workaholic culture.
- Most Nepali homes will run primarily on solar energy.
- Nepal will have a net population loss. (fewer people born than dead)
- In 2030, Nepalis will proclaim me as the “new Nostradamus” but of course I will refuse any such comparisons and sue you all for defaming me :P
So which ones are your favorite?
How about you add your own predictions for Nepal by 2030 below! (lets see what you got. It’s time to think outrageous !!! )