Forget about changing yourself full or half ,25% or even 10%. How about just changing 1% more? Remember, Scientists have told us that we are only 1% different from Monkeys (genetically). Yet we, humans have managed to do so many wonderful things,(and bad things too) that sets us apart from these monkeys. If this 1% difference has caused so much visible change, here’s a question for us all.
Why can’t you and I just change ourselves 1% MORE ? (from where we are now) If we concentrated (focused) on changing ourselves in this tiny 1%, we surely would change our nation, our world, our Earth.
And to Nepalis: Would you not like to be 1% different than the herds of sheep-minded Nepalis we are now? I believe, It’s only that bit that will make us nobler, sensible, honest and pro-active Nepalis ! What could be these 1% change ? Here are a few among millions of 1% changes for those who are looking for clues.
- how about switching from plastics to cloth bags ?
- calling and spending 5 minutes complaining to the road department to fix your roads
- cleaning a small part of temple every time you go there
- Be a mentor to a young person
- Pledge to follow traffic rules
- write an article in the newspaper on citizen duties
- Make a neighborhood group that responds on emergencies
- Invite your neighbors once a year for a small “bring your own food” gathering
- Do not honk the horns unless necessary
- Connect good people to other good people
- Write to your newspaper about good things happening in your neighborhood
- Ban “yestai ho” talk for at least a few hours every day
- Make one day a month, “Only Doing. – No talking, writing or studying” day
- Say ‘Thank you’ 10 times a day
- Be one of the first followers of a youth who wants to join politics to bring effective change in his/her society
Be the “1 percent Nepali” from today !